Nicanor Pesina, Jr.
Nicanor Pesina Jr., a Tyler lawyer joins Roberts & Roberts with a diverse professional and educational background. Nick always had an interest in public service and worked at the city, state, and federal levels of government prior to becoming a lawyer. After graduate school, he joined the Texas Senate Committee on International Relations & Trade chaired by State Senator Eddie Lucio, Jr. as a Senior Policy Analyst/Committee Clerk. With several years’ experience in the political environment and the policy-making process, Nick decided to attend law school. During law school, Nick clerked in a variety of different legal areas including: criminal defense, the Office of Speaker Joe Straus at the Texas House of Representatives, and the Office of General Counsel at the Texas Health & Human Services Commission.
Nick received both his Bachelor’s in Political Science/Spanish (B.A.) along with a Master’s in Public Administration (M.P.A.) from Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches. He went on to receive his Doctorate of Jurisprudence (J.D.) from The University of Texas School of Law in Austin, where he was inducted into its prestigious Order of the Barristers and was recognized with a Pro Bono Service Award in 2012. Nick is licensed to practice law in Texas and has been admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Texas.
Honors, Awards, & Activites
- CASA of East Texas – Board Member, 2013
- Hispanic National Bar Association – Member, 2013
- Smith County Bar Association – Member, 2012
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association – Member, 2012
- Texas Young Lawyers Association – Member, 2012
- Order of Barristers, 2012
- Pro Bono Service Award, 2012
- Haynes Boone Intermediate Mock Trial Tournament – Champion, 2010 & Best Advocate Award
- Strasburger & Price Senior Honors Mock Trial Competition – Champion, 2012
- John L. Costello National Criminal Law Advocacy Competition, 2012
- AAJ National Mock Trial, 2012
- Interscholastic Mock Trial Team, 2010-12
- U.S. – Mexico Student Bar Exchange Program at La Universidad de Guanajuato, 2010
- Chicano/a Hispanic Law Students’ Association, 2009-10
- Mountain Region Director – National Latino/a Law Students Association, 2009-10
Personal Background and Interests
Nicanor Pesina Jr. was born on January 21, 1982, in Dallas, Texas and graduated from Royse City High School in Royse City, Texas. He is very close to his family, especially his younger brother. Nick is fluent in Spanish and is committed to serving his community. Currently, Nick serves on the Inclusion and Outreach Committee for National CASA, a non-profit organization that provides trained community volunteers to advocate in court for abused and neglected children. Nick has served in a leadership capacity for his fraternity for more than 10 years and currently serves on its National Alumni Association as well as its Board of Directors. Nick is an avid football fan and in his free time, he likes to be as active as possible through activities such as running and CrossFit.