Obviously, when a human being is struck by over a ton of steel, the results are usually catastrophic. The National Highway Traffic Safety Association reports that cars injure over 100,000 pedestrians every year; another 5,000 pedestrians are killed annually by motor vehicles, and more than 10 percent of those (550) are in Texas.
While most pedestrian accidents happen because a driver was speeding, drunk, distracted or failed to observe traffic signals or crosswalks, pedestrians are sometimes at fault. The most common errors that pedestrians made include:
- Suddenly running out onto a busy road
- Not crossing at designated crossing areas
- Crossing too late, under the “don’t walk” sign
In the event you are involved in a pedestrian accident, you should:
- Notify police
- Gather contact information from everyone involved, including any witnesses
- Get medical help, even if you think you don’t need it – you may be in shock
- Write down everything you remember about the incident
- Keep track of all your expenses related to the accident
- Consult with a Texas personal injury attorney
To learn more about pedestrian safety, read Pedestrian & Bicycle Safety.
The attorneys of Roberts & Roberts have the skill, experience and resources to fully investigate any serious accident or death. If you have a question about an accident involving a serious injury or fatality, please call 800-248-6000 or contact us for a free consultation.