Most parents go to great lengths to protect their children from any known dangers. The problem is there is an unknown danger that lurks throughout many people's homes in many places. It can be in your remote controls, singing greeting cards, digital scales, watches, hearing aids, thermometers, children's toys, calculators, key fobs, small flashlights, and many types of flashing jewelry. It is often in mall electronic appliances that if dropped or tampered with can easily be open exposing this dangerous product your child. What is that dangerous product that can cause permanent injury or death to your child? It is the little lithium "button" batteries found in all sorts of electrical devices throughout your home.
If a child swallows the lithium button battery, his or her saliva can create an electrical current. This current causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the esophagus or other internal organs of the child within hours. More importantly, because the battery is so small, the child may not even react when he or she initially swallows it. By the time the parent or caregiver notices the discomfort, the damage may have become irreversible.
The manufacturers of these electrical devices have known of these dangers for years, yet they have failed to take corrective action. Consumer groups and safety advocates have urged that these devices that contain button batteries either be made child resistant or at a minimum carry warning labels. So far, the manufacturers have declined to do so citing costs and a lack of documented risk.
Until the manufacturers act to correct these unsafe devices, parents are urged to carefully search their home for any device that may contain these button/lithium batteries. Remote controls and other electronic devices should be placed out of reach of small children. Warn caregivers, such as babysitters and others, of the dangers of these lithium batteries. Try and secure batteries by taping the battery compartments closed to keep small children from accidentally opening the compartments or the compartments opening upon being dropped.
If you suspect your child has swallowed a button battery, seek immediate medical attention. Do not try to induce vomiting or get your child to drink liquids as that may make the condition worse.
If your child has been injured by a button battery or you have friends or family that have been injured by their unsafe products or devices, call the product liability attorneys of Roberts and Roberts. For nearly 30 years, these lawyers have been fighting to make manufacturers accountable for their actions.
The lawyers of Roberts and Roberts have the skill, expertise, and resources to take on large manufacturers. The attorneys of Roberts and Roberts have gained national attention for their work with unsafe products. If you have questions or concerns, call us. The call costs you nothing… it could mean everything.