Call Now • Open 24/7 903-597-6000

Your Rights if Your Car Is a Total Loss

Question : 
My car is a total loss because of an accident I had with a careless driver. His insurance company has only offered to pay me the fair market value of my car. Do I have any other rights?

Answer : 
Yes. In addition to paying you the fair market value of your car, the insurance company must pay the towing and storage fee at the salvage yard. It must also reimburse you for the sales tax you will have to pay to get another car of similar value as well as for the cost of the new license plates and title. The sales tax is 6.25%. Getting new license plates will cost $60.00 to $70.00 and transferring title to another car into your name will cost $28.00.

**The information provided on this website is for general informational purposes only. It should not be relied upon or considered as legal advice or guidance in a particular situation. If you need legal advice or guidance in a specific situation, you should consult with an appropriate attorney.

Free Case Review

You have nothing to lose by letting our attorneys advise you of your options. For a no-cost, confidential attorney review of your case, contact us using the form below or by calling us at (903) 597-6000.

Contact Us

Our Personal Injury Lawyers Are Featured in the Top 100 Personal Injury Trial Lawyers Our Personal Injury Attorneys Have Been Texas Super Lawyers for Decades Our Lawyers Have Been Recipients of the Mult-Million Dollar Advocates Award for Personal Injury Lawyers

From one former client:
"I am so happy to have chosen the best law firm around. The staff is amazing in handling your questions promptly. I hope I don't ever need them again, but if I do, there is no question I will be back. Thank y'all so much for helping me." - Heather N.