Your Rights if Injured by a Violent Crime

I was injured as a result of a violent crime. Do I have any rights?

Yes. In addition to criminal prosecution of your attacker, you may be entitled to compensation under the Crime Victims Compensation Act. This law set up a fund that provides limited benefits to innocent victims of violent crimes. It pays for some medical care, funeral expenses, lost earnings, and other benefits, up to a maximum of $25,000.00.

To be eligible, an adult victim must promptly report the crime to the police, cooperate fully with law enforcement, and file a claim with the Office of the Attorney General of Texas in Austin within three years of the crime.

Free Consultation

For a free, immediate attorney review of your case, contact us using the form below or call us at (903) 597-6000.

Contact Us
icon icon icon

From one former client:
"I am so happy to have chosen the best law firm around. The staff is amazing in handling your questions promptly. I hope I don't ever need them again, but if I do, there is no question I will be back. Thank y'all so much for helping me." - Heather N.