Are you planning a yard sale this Spring? The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) advises all sellers of previously owned/used products – including consignment and thrift shop vendors, charities, and yard sale operators – to thoroughly inspect their inventory to guarantee the items are not dangerous and that they meet federal laws. Although resellers,or people who give away used items, aren’t required to test their products for safety, it’s illegal to knowingly sell items that don’t act in accordance with safety regulations. These products should be properly disposed of.
The CPSC offers the following examples of products that cannot be resold:
- Items that have been recalled by the CPSC (unless the items have been restored in compliance with the recall)
- Most cribs manufactured before June 2011 (mostly because of the ban on drop-side cribs)
- Infant and toddler items like play yards, infant walkers, bath seats and bed rails for small children, as well as products that are lacking the proper parts, seem wobbly or insecure, or that infringe on the CPSC’s safety regulations
- Children’s metal jewelry that does not conform to the federal limit on lead of 100 parts per million
- Products meant for children 12 years of age or younger, including toys and other items designed for use by children with a known lead content that exceeds the legal limit
- Other household products or items that have lead concentrations exceeding the specified safe limit, including furniture coatings or paint that contain lead
The CPSC recalls 300-500 products every year, so if you are in the business of reselling items, it is your duty to know and abide by the laws and safety regulations relating to those products.
A good strategy to use if you are someone who resells or gives away products that have been gently used is to go to the CPSC website, and search for the items you plan to resell or give away in the recall section of the website. Their website is: www.cpsc.gov. Our firm posts the latest recall information on our website and social media outlets as well.
For a free, immediate attorney review of your case, contact us using the form below or call us at (903) 597-6000.
From one former client:
"I am so happy to have chosen the best law firm around. The staff is amazing in handling your questions promptly. I hope I don't ever need them again, but if I do, there is no question I will be back. Thank y'all so much for helping me." - Heather N.