East Texas Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
For nearly 40 years, Roberts & Roberts has been a trusted partner for motorcycle accident victims and a fierce advocate for their rights. While our roots are deep in Tyler, Longview, and throughout East Texas, we have built a national reputation for the legal counsel we provide personal injury clients. Our lawyers have been featured on shows and channels like Good Morning America, Dateline, CNN, and MSNBC.
If you have been seriously injured in a motorcycle crash, please don’t hesitate to contact our firm for a free consultation by calling 903-205-9231 or filling out our online contact form. The Roberts & Roberts team will fight to hold the driver responsible for your injury accountable and for the fair compensation you deserve.
What Steps Should You Take After a Motorcycle Accident?
A motorcycle accident can be disorienting, but it’s important to act quickly and carefully in the aftermath.
First, move to a safe location and call 911 to report the incident and request medical assistance if needed. Exchange contact and insurance information with all involved parties.
You’ll also want to gather evidence. Take photos and videos of the accident scene, vehicle damage, road conditions, and visible injuries. Get witness contact info and statements about how the collision occurred. Photographic proof and testimonies bolster your case.
Even if your injuries seem minor, get evaluated by a doctor to uncover any hidden issues and document them. Having your injuries medically recorded creates a paper trail that can support a legal case.
By prioritizing safety, seeking medical help, and collecting evidence, you can begin recovering physically and financially from a motorcycle crash. Acting quickly and wisely can make all the difference. With the right response, you can begin the process of recovering both physically and financially.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
The number one most common cause of motorcycle accidents is the failure of other drivers to notice them, especially at intersections. Because of their short wheelbase and low profile, drivers are more likely to overlook motorcycles or misjudge their speed. Many drivers pull out or turn in front of oncoming motorcycles at intersections.
Unfortunately, due to the lack of protection provided, motorcycle accident injuries are often severe. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, in 2022 alone, there were 535 fatal motorcycle accidents in the state of Texas. Another 2,238 suffered severe injuries, such as broken bones, spinal cord injuries, and brain injuries.
We encourage all motorcyclists to wear proper safety gear and ride defensively. We also urge all drivers of motor vehicles to stay alert and always check for motorcycles before changing lanes or pulling out. You could save a life.
What Types of Damages Can Motorcycle Accident Victims Receive?
In the legal sense, “damages” refer to monetary compensation awarded to a plaintiff to help cover losses or injuries suffered due to a defendant’s actions or negligence. Damages are intended to make the plaintiff “whole” again financially, as if the wrongdoing had not occurred in the first place.
Some of the main categories of damages that motorcycle crash victims may be entitled to include:
- Medical expenses. This includes bills for hospitalization, surgery, rehabilitation, ongoing treatments, and medication.
- Lost income. Victims may recover wages lost due to missing work for recovery and reduced future earning capacity.
- Property damage. Compensation for repair or replacement costs for a damaged motorcycle or other property.
- Pain and suffering. This covers damages for physical pain and mental/emotional distress suffered due to the injuries.
- Disfigurement. Compensation for permanent scarring or disfigurement due to the motorcycle crash injuries. Motorcycle accidents are especially likely to result in scars and burns when compared to other types of auto accidents.
- Punitive damages. Additional compensation may be awarded to punish egregious actions by the liable party.
- Wrongful death. Families of deceased victims may recover damages such as funeral costs, loss of financial support, companionship, and inheritance.
The specific damages awarded depend on the unique circumstances of each motorcycle crash case. An experienced attorney can help identify and maximize all applicable damages.
Do You Need a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
While not every motorcycle accident requires legal representation, there are signs you should seek counsel from an experienced attorney. These signs include:
- Severe Injuries. If you’ve sustained serious injuries that require extensive medical treatment or have resulted in disability, an attorney can help you pursue full compensation.
- Disputed Liability. When fault in the accident is disputed, an attorney can investigate and gather evidence to establish liability.
- Insurance Challenges. Dealing with the insurance company can be complicated. An attorney can handle negotiations and protect your rights.
Hiring a motorcycle accident attorney offers advantages like maximizing your potential compensation for medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages. An attorney understands the legal process intricacies and can guide you through the complexities of filing an injury claim.
Along with that, a motorcycle accident lawyer can help you overcome common obstacles that limit or stand in the way of recovery, such as anti-motorcycle bias and issues with insurance coverage. Other possible obstacles a personal injury attorney can navigate include comparative negligence laws, difficulty proving liability, and proof of injuries (which highlights the importance of seeking medical care and getting documentation).
If you aren’t sure if your case would benefit from legal representation, please feel free to contact Roberts & Roberts for a free consultation. We can assess your unique situation and give guidance on what could be your best course of action as you seek fair competition.
What Should You Look for in a Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
When researching motorcycle accident attorneys, there are a few key factors to look for that can make all the difference in your legal journey:
- Seek an attorney with extensive experience specifically handling motorcycle accident cases. Their understanding of the complex legal challenges involved with motorcycle crashes can lead to successful outcomes.
- Review the attorney’s past track record of delivering results by securing settlements and verdicts. This demonstrates their ability to get clients fair compensation.
- Choose a lawyer who takes a personalized approach, invests time to understand your unique circumstances, and tailors a strategy. Keep in mind that you deserve individualized attention.
- Read client testimonials and reviews to gain insight into the attorney’s reputation for instilling confidence through great service.
- Assess if the attorney has ample resources and a strong support team. Thorough investigation and continuous support are essential for the success of your case.
An attorney that checks these boxes can provide the level of seasoned experience, commitment, and resources you need to seek fair compensation after a motorcycle accident.
Put Our Legal Experience on Your Side
Ready to take the next step? Contact the motorcycle accident lawyers at Roberts & Roberts for a free consultation. We’re here to listen, assess your case, and provide expert guidance on your motorcycle accident claim.
Whether you’re in Tyler, Longview, or anywhere in East Texas, we strive to help you recover, repair, and rebuild. Let us be your advocates for justice and get you back on the road to recovery. Either call 903-251-2873 or fill out our simple online form to get started today.