100% Free Consultation 903-597-6000

Documenting Lost Income


  • Obtain from your employer a letter stating the exact days you missed from work because of this accident, how much you are paid, and the amount of money you would have made if you had been working on these days. If you had to use vacation or sick time, the letter should make the amount of such time used clear as well. Make sure your employer understands the reason you are unable to work is due to your accident.
  • Let us know if your injury has prevented you from advancing in your employment or if it has prevented you from obtaining employment, and furnish us with any supporting documentation.
  • Give us a copy of any statements from your doctor restricting you from work, limiting your work, or releasing you to go back to work. You should get such a statement from your doctor every time you go to the doctor if you remain off work.
  • If we go to court, we will need your W-2 forms and federal income tax returns for the five (5) calendar years before your accident and all years since your accident.
  • If you are self-employed, your economic loss claim will be based on the actual cost of hiring someone to replace you while you are disabled, or the reduction in your net income caused by your inability to work.
  • If you pay, or become obligated to pay, for a service you could have performed yourself, you may be entitled to compensation for this loss. Substituted services include: transportation, household help, help taking care of your family, etc. To be compensated for substituted services, the doctor must write a prescription for the service or a letter instructing you not to perform the activity. You must have receipts, canceled checks, or contracts showing who performed the service.


  • If the doctor releases you to return to work, and you think you should not return, at least try to work, and then return to the doctor if you are unable to do your work.
  • If you are able to work, go to work.

Free, Confidential Case Review

Find out how we can help you. Get started now by filling out the form below or by calling (903) 597-6000. Your case review is free and confidential.

Contact Us (Standard)
Your Name
Your Name

Our Personal Injury Lawyers Are Featured in the Top 100 Personal Injury Trial Lawyers Our Personal Injury Attorneys Have Been Texas Super Lawyers for Decades Our Personal Injury Attorneys Have Been Recipients of the Mult-Million Dollar Advocates Award for Personal Injury Lawyers

From one former client:
"I am so happy to have chosen the best law firm around. The staff is amazing in handling your questions promptly. I hope I don't ever need them again, but if I do, there is no question I will be back. Thank y'all so much for helping me." - Heather N.