Call Now • Open 24/7 903-597-6000

Your Right to PIP and UM Coverage

Question : 
I have Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and uninsured motorist (UM) coverage on my auto insurance policy. Both pay my medical bills and other damages if I am injured by an uninsured motorist. Since I pay separate premiums for my PIP and UM coverage, can I recover under both coverages for the same damages if I am injured by an uninsured motorist?

Answer : 
No. Historically because two premiums were paid, Texas courts allowed an injured consumer to collect both personal injury protection benefits and underinsured motorist benefits. The Texas Department of Insurance, however, has ruled that an insurance company, even though it collected a separate premium for each benefit, could offset uninsured and underinsured coverage in the amount that it paid in personal injury protection benefits. The right of the Texas Department of Insurance to change the law was ultimately upheld by the Texas Supreme Court.

Free Case Review

You have nothing to lose by letting our attorneys advise you of your options. For a no-cost, confidential attorney review of your case, contact us using the form below or by calling us at (903) 597-6000.

Contact Us

Our Personal Injury Lawyers Are Featured in the Top 100 Personal Injury Trial Lawyers Our Personal Injury Attorneys Have Been Texas Super Lawyers for Decades Our Lawyers Have Been Recipients of the Mult-Million Dollar Advocates Award for Personal Injury Lawyers

From one former client:
"I am so happy to have chosen the best law firm around. The staff is amazing in handling your questions promptly. I hope I don't ever need them again, but if I do, there is no question I will be back. Thank y'all so much for helping me." - Heather N.